[ebook] PWA as the path to the best Mobile Experience
Since 2014, Internet consumption on mobile devices has been greater than on desktop PCs. Consumers seeking information about products more and more often reach for their smartphones.
Unfortunately, conversion in this channel often leaves much to be desired. Customers browse websites on their smartphones, but are not willing to make a purchase in this way.
For a while it seemed that the solution to this problem was to build native mobile apps. However, it soon turned out that customers do not want to regularly use several dozen different apps.
Download free ebook
What is PWA?
A Progressive Web App (PWA) is an application written using modern web technologies that functions like a native mobile or desktop application:
- it is very fast
- it displays notifications
- it can operate in offline mode and in the background
- it can utilize native device functions (camera, geolocation, gesture navigation)
- it may be installed by the user on their desktop/homescreen
Compliance with PWA is verified by checking items on the so-called PWA Checklist and running a Google Lighthouse benchmark.
Advantages offered by PWA
A PWA combines the best elements of the web browsing experience offered by web browsers and applications.
Like a web browser, it allows easy and direct access to a search engine and does not require any additional installations. Like an application, it allows use of native functions of a mobile device (push notifications, camera, QR codes/barcodes, geolocation) to improve user experience.
PWAs address real business needs:
- entry into new markets, operation on markets where Internet access is limited (e.g. the Nigerian e-commerce app – Konga)
- desire to acquire new users; the need to download a new app is a barrier for many users – PWAs are generally available not unlike any other website
- desire to increase conversion on mobile devices: PWAs utilize native mobile device functionalities and are optimized towards mobile experience
- ability to increase user engagement through push notifications